Apr 14, 2015

Amazed, Proud, Shocked, Happy

Back in September of 2014, Liam was diagnosed with ADHD and ASD, then later diagnosed with ED and possible Torrets.  Some kids on the spectrum are aggressive and some aren't.  Liam was one of the unlucky ones.  We have been seeing a Psychiatrist recently to find a good balance of medications that will help him (and us) have some normalcy in his life.  At this stage, he can't be around others, we can't take him places, he can't have play dates, etc.  It's imperative that we find a solution and soon.  Well, the doctor has been playing around with two medications and tweaking them as we go.  We're still having some issues, but I have heard that it can take a long time to get him stabilized.  One person said it took her two years to find a mixture of meds that worked for her son.  He is a lot like Liam.  Two years seems like a long time, but there's still hope.

Liam curses, hits, kicks, blows air in your face, throws things, and back talks.  It's been quite a challenge, and I'm trying to find the patience buried deep within to deal with these issues.  Landon finally had his first game of the season due to bad weather and the fields being drenched.  I always cringe around this time of the year because I know what I'll have to deal with.  It's not about watching Landon, it's about watching Liam.

This game was special.  Not only was it Landon's very first game in the majors, but Liam did a phenomenal job playing nicely with the other kids and listening.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the recent change in medication, his mood, or just being occupied by toys and having fun, but it was awesome to see him in such a happy, cooperative state.  I was pleasantly shocked.  Since the aggression began, I had never seen him like that.  He was gentle, giving hugs, sharing toys, and most importantly, keeping his hands and feet to himself.  He didn't curse either!!  I was SO proud of him!  I didn't know who he was.  Is this really happening?  Somehow I was confused.  Happy, but confused.  This put me in a great mood, and I was able to watch Landon play.  I am hoping and praying whatever this is lasts.  Maybe it's all a fluke, I'm not sure, but I am trying to stay as positive as I can.


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!