Feb 13, 2013

Trials and Tribulations

It's no secret, Liam can really put your nerves to the test when it comes to being mischievous.  I don't know how many times I have caught him climbing, hanging, ripping, drawing, taking his pants off (yes, the messy kind), you name it.  He is a walking tornado sometimes and I can't keep up.  Now I know exactly why parents want to start their families at such a young age.  You need the energy to endure their crazy younger years.  Good luck to those pushing 40 starting families or even expanding, I admire their courage! 

On top of that, Liam is different than a normal kid his age.  It can be frustrating for our family when we try to change something or try to get him to improve or be better.  For instance, we have been pushing the sippy cup for a loooong time now.  He simply refuses to take it.  I would swear to it that Liam is slightly Autistic or maybe battling a case of OCD.  Here we think he is just being a toddler when there are underlying issues that haven't yet been discovered.  There's a reason he does everything, he's young and exploring.  It very well could be that he's just being THAT toddler.  But, given his history and delayed milestones (speech mainly), I think otherwise.  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want anything to be wrong, I just have a gut feeling that something is missing.  He is the equivalent to an 18 month old - 2 year old child (without the speech).  You, as the parent, know you're child best and see signs that nobody else sees on a daily basis.  Hell, even my husband doesn't get to see some of the things Liam does because he works so much.  Anyway, back to the point.  The sippy cup has been a failure.  Getting him off the bottle is a huge challenge in our house.  He is obsessed with it.  Like Fatal Attraction obsessed.  He is also obsessed with hot dogs, water, and balloons.  Yes, those things make him happy, but he gets fixed on one thing and that's the end of it.  Balloons?  I can't get him away from them to change his pants, get him ready for school, eat a meal, etc.  It's a problem.  Water?  There's a time and place for water.  Those times would include swimming and bath time.  Pretty typical, right?  Not for Liam.  Just to get his fix, he will climb on things to get to a faucet and play.  With this comes dangerous situations and big messes.  Hot dogs?  Well, I will say he will eat other things, but always goes back to the hot dogs.  As soon as he comes home from school, to the meat drawer of the refrigerator he goes.  Lately, it has been ALL about hot dogs.  The therapists said that he has sensory issues.  And I believe it.  That's where the water obsession would come from.  If he gets into the kitchen cabinets, cooks the noodles by himself and then plays in them, I might be a little worried.  Hopefully the sensory will let up before it gets worse.  Please, please, please God don't let it get worse.  In addition to everything mentioned, Liam's doctor thinks that since Landon has ADHD Liam might have it, too.  Great.  Just one more thing to add to the list, AND one more thing to drive me nuts.  :)

My kid is cute, yes.  My kid is smart, yes.  I get it.  And, I love him dearly.  I do.  There's nothing more powerful than how I feel about my kids.  They are awesome, but yes, they do have some negative points (like Liam hitting, thanks to living with ALL boys - thanks, guys! Also, regressing on potty-training).  It's definitely not easy this time around.  And yes, I do realize that there are more negative points throughout this post.  This post is called trials and tribulations, not yummy lollipops and pretty rainbows.  Mmmkay?  :)

Now on to the pictures...





Bottle in mouth.  I wish there was a magic wand to get this "stage" to go away.  Oh, and he won't take anything but milk in his bottle.



What goes up, must come down.  He is pretty active these days and hasn't been taking many naps lately, but I think he wore himself completely out with all the climbing, jumping, etc.


He's so precious.  I love these moments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!