Jul 1, 2012

Canoeing

My sister called me and asked me if we/I would like to go canoeing.  I've always been an outdoorsy kinda' gal, but I could never get Aaron to do anything because of his allergies.  Now that Aaron has gotten older his allergies aren't nearly as bad.  I asked if he would be interested, and to my surprise, he said yes!  And, he was actually really excited about it.  We made plans for my in-laws to keep the boys so we could have some time alone as a couple.  It was by far one of the best decisions we've made in awhile.  We decided that we were going to be pros right out of the gate and take the 14 mile trip down Blue River.  Man, that was a long trip.  Fun, but long...and maybe a wee bit exhausting.  Regardless, it was one of the best times I've had in a long time and we can't wait to do it again.  I think next time I want to take Landon...and maybe the 7 mile trip. 

The Blue River was low this time of year because of the lack of rain we've had.  So, all in all, we could have walked our boats down the river if we really wanted to.  I think the deepest point was three feet, and naturally, some of the rock on the bottom of the river scraped the bottom of the boats, causing us to get stuck in several places.  The day was an adventure and one we will not forget.  Good times!

This is the start of our journey:

Can you see how happy and excited everyone is?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


We rescued paddles.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We stopped for lunch and swimming.





And, of course, pee time.  Hey, beats getting poison ivy.


We were entertained by fellow canoeing buddies.   "Onward!"


We "caught" fish.


Enjoyed the scenery.


Relaxed in our boats.


We saw cows roaming the woods.



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We paddled like it's nobody's business to get back to the Take Out in time for pick up.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We hurt so bad we laughed.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We made it just in time for our 20 minute bus ride back.   Man, we look rough.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!