May 6, 2012

It's Potty Time, People!

We weren't going to push potty-training for a little while because of everything else Liam has going on.  Plus, the brace can get in the way.  I feel too much too soon can violently push a toddler into failure mode, and open up a window of ridiculous meltdowns.  Liam will do things at his own pace, so if he's ready, he'll do it.  A couple of weeks ago while I was trying to get the boys undressed for bath time, I thought it might be a good opportunity to try putting Liam on his potty.  He sat there like a good boy.  He's probably the only toddler I know that can sit there on command without making a fuss.  We waited, nothing.  We waited again, nothing.  I figured it had been long enough and decided to pull him from the seat.  Lucky for me, Landon had already started the bath water.  You know what THAT means, right?  As soon as I pulled him off...BAM!  There it was, a pool of pee next to the potty.  Great.  I continued on with bath as usual, but I couldn't help but laugh at the situation.  When he went pee on the floor, Landon yells, "Ewww Mom, Liam just peed on my foot.  Gross!"  Lucky for Landon bath time was just a few short steps away.

The next attempt went a little better.  He sat there like he did before while teaching him to push "it" down.  He seems to be getting the hang of that.  He finally tinkled a little in the potty.  It was a successful day, but we have a long road ahead. And, we're not going full force on it just yet.  I want him to show me he's confident enough, and I want him to get the hang of the process/concept before the pee and poo schedules are followed.

Here is Liam patiently waiting for the magic to begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!