Sep 1, 2011

first few days home

Wow, what a difference a body cast makes.  You never know what you have until it's gone.  In our case, it's snuggling, sitting, cradling, walking, running, crawling and having access to just about everything.  This cast has put a barrier between us and our little dude.  I love his baby soft skin and now we only have access to just a fraction of it.  We're still a little emotional about the situation, but since Liam has been home, we've adjusted quite nicely.  The first thing that Landon said when he saw Liam for the first time was, "Hey Dad, can we get Liam some flowers and a card?  I feel so bad for my Bubby."  He is the sweetest kid.  He's been kissing him on his forehead and loving on him as he always did.  Landon hasn't let this drastic change come between them.  You can learn a lot from kids.  Landon acts as if it's no big deal, so we are too.  Thanks for the reminder, Landon!  Liam's pediatric wheel chair arrived yesterday, making things much easier for everyone.  Before it was either his crib or Landon's beanbag, both confining him to his back.  I was afraid of bed sores and the fact that he couldn't sit up to eat solid foods without the possibility of choking.  Not to mention how hot and sweaty he gets if he's on his back too long.  This way he can sit up and go anywhere in the house with us.  It's also good for transporting him to doctor appointments and the occasional trip to the store.  Landon already told me he would help push him if needed.  So, it looks as though I will have to wait until Landon is out of school before I can go to the grocery.  Having that extra helping hand is, well, handy.  I'm not sure how his therapies will go since we haven't had any this week due to his surgery and recovery time.  They might be a little challenge until we can all, as a team, come up with a plan. How are we doing?  Much better.  Our days will always be bright as long as our kids are happy.  We're hanging in there because we know that it can always be worse, right?  Today is my day to learn how to put Liam in the new car seat.  Having Aaron home on vacation helps a ton and gives me time to practice doing different things.  After all, he can't be home all the time, so I need to get it in gear.  He's been wonderful.  I like to think of myself as a very strong woman/mother, but there are times when I need to ask for assistance from time to time.  All in all, we're living life one day at a time and that's all we can do right now.  We took Liam outside to get some fresh air in his new ride.  This wheelchair is awesome.  He loved being outside and getting off his back.  And then, something incredible happened.  But, I'll let you watch the video and save the commentary.

I am one tired Mama, but I was just happy to hold him again.  








 Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug







3 comments:

  1. So glad he is doing so well. He seems like such a sweet boy. How awesome that he figured out how to move. Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really thinking about you guys right now although by the looks of it, you have an incredibly resilient little boy. You may have mentioned it and I forget now...how long will he be in the body cast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Andie...I'm saying a prayer now for all of you. I can't even imagine. Sure hope he heals up faster than expected!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!