Jul 19, 2011

liam update

Well, after months and months of trying to figure out why Liam was delayed physically (sitting, crawling, pulling up, and walking), we finally find out why - almost two years later.  Poor kid.  We went to the Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday.  They did two x-rays to find that Liam has a dislocated hip!  Good grief.  Liam has always had this funny walk since he started toddling around.  But, my main concern was he looked knock kneed.  I knew that this could cause hip/joint problems later, but I wasn't expecting a dislocated hip.  There it was on the big screen staring me back in the face.  By the look of the x-ray, it looked painful, but I guess since he's had it since birth, he had no other choice but to adjust to it like anything else.  I told everyone, hoping they'd notice too, that he seems to have a limp and one leg seems a tiny bit shorter than the other (a half an inch, come to find out).  Everyone told me that he's little and he should probably grow out of it.  Knock kneed, yes.  But, a dislocated hip, no.  It would have been difficult for them to detect any specifics without an x-ray anyway, so I can't blame anyone.  I guess I wasn't crazy after all.  Most people were thinking since he was in therapies every week, and since I had been that "take charge" kind of mom, they thought everything must be fine with him and there's no need to worry.  No, I was just working with a doctor who obviously didn't do their job at checking him out physically when he was a newborn.  I am very angry.  But, it's in the past and it's time to move on to yet another doctor appointment with the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to either put a brace or a cast on him.  Surgery is the very last option.  I'm going to avoid that altogether if possible, as I'm sure they will too.  Please say a little prayer for our little guy.  It's been exhausting and stressful, not to mention emotional.  The bright side?  At least we're knocking out issues one at a time.  We found out he doesn't have hearing loss, but he has a dislocated hip.  Now, we just fix the problem and move on to the next thing.  I feel so bad for my little dude.  I've never been a quitter.  I'm still fighting...

8 comments:

  1. Oh Andie,
    This is great news, that you can work on getting your little guy the help he needs. I am so angry right there WITH you that something so simple couldn't have been caught sooner. It's really ridiculous. Poor Liam. Give him a hug from me and keep us updated! I have him in my prayers that you get in with an awesome doctor from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mommas always know when something is wrong with their child, why don't people believe that? Glad you have some answers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andie! I am so sorry for your little guy! I am so glad someone finally figured it out; what a great pro-active mama you are. Prayers for you and your family, and you are right; just keep knocking out those challenges, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god he has you to fight in his corner. I am so happy that you found out and that it's his hip and it's something that you can correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your little guy. At least you have figured out part of his problem. You are an amazing advocate for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to pray - and yeah, at least you have answers now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...so glad they finally found the cause and that it can be corrected! still praying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! It was a dislocated hip? It seems sometimes things that seem so complex are really "simpler" things disguised! I am sad that no one knew it earlier, but glad that you have figured it out now! Liam is blessed he has you as his mommy to fight for him!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!