Jul 8, 2011

firsts

Well, it looks as though we are moving right along...snail style, but still moving.  Liam, in case you weren't already aware, has been in therapy since he was 13 months old.  Liam will be turning two August 12th.  Needless to say, it's been a long road, and he's in therapy for various things.  But, instead of rambling on about what he isn't doing, I'll talk about some more positive happenings....because that is what matters most.  He is improving.  He is now eating better, which brings me to the first photo of the bunch.  He ate spaghetti for the first time without giving me a big fuss or turning away.  His chewing wasn't up to par at one point and when I saw his little mouth moving a mile a minute, actually enjoying it, I knew we were on to something quite special.  Most people would probably be like "So what? That's not a big deal."  Well, it kind of is.  We have to eat to live and if someone isn't eating properly, this can lead to more things down the road.  I was one of those parents that didn't think much of it when Landon did everything early, taking him for granted - speaking in full sentences, walking, you name it.  All across the board he was well advanced for his age, still is.  I never in a million years thought that I would be one of those parents who would have to be faced with a challenged child after having a master-mind the first time around.  Well, it can happen...and it did.  But, who knows, he could be totally fine in the end of all this and make some pretty miraculous changes over the next year.  Liam does have that shock factor way about him.  We are supposed to be in contact with an Orthopedic and a Geneticist.  His knees come together and we need to dig a little deeper.  The reason for the Geneticist is because Liam has a multitude of issues.   Am I sad?  Of course.  Am I worried?  Of course.  But, really all we are looking for are solid answers - nothing more, nothing less.  Liam is scheduled for his ABR (a sedated hearing test) to get a more accurate reading on the 14th.  I'm hoping all goes well and also hoping this will be the last step on hearing tests.  If they detect hearing loss, they will go ahead and mold him for hearing aids that day while he's sleeping.  I'm excited to see how much of an improvement there will be with hearing aids, if he actually needs them.  We've been told this and that.  Professionals have suggested this and that.  Now, Aaron and I are ready.  Let's get on with it.  Well, I guess all that didn't sound too positive did it?  I'm proud of Liam and love him to pieces.  He has come so far.  When I see him smile or when I hear him giggle, or even when he gives me a big bear hug, I know everything is going to be okay.  He trusts us to do the right thing.  He trusts us to fight for him and love him unconditionally.  And that is exactly what we will do.  For now, this is a picture of our messy-mouthed kid.



And then, the unthinkable happened.  Liam being in this situation has never been your typical toddler.  Little by little he is coming out of his shell.  He's throwing more fits, which is great to see.  Did I just say that?  He's toddling around and balancing better, which is also good to see.  This is actually the first time Liam decided to climb on something that wasn't at ankle height.  He hiked his little leg up and pulled up onto the coffee table.  The coffee table doesn't sit low, mind you.  This is typical toddler behavior and fantastic to see.  Not only did he pull up and attempt to climb, he actually used all of his weight on one leg and stood instead of scooting on his belly, like most toddlers do at first.  His strength is incredible.  It was amazing to witness, but even more amazing to see how he was doing it.  Here is a little video.

video


Climbing.


Again.


Enjoying his moment on top of his new throne.


Victory dance.



More victory shenanigans.



5 comments:

  1. Congrats to Mr. Liam! So glad that he is making progress and being a toddler! You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Go Liam. I know what you mean. It is the little things. Good luck with his hearing test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...so cute! SO glad to hear that he's making such progress! How very encouraging. :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww he deserves a victory dance! How exciting to see improvements! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwe, so sweet! He looks so proud of himself and I'm so happy for you Mama...Good luck with all the tests! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!